Trimming the hedge

A couple weeks ago, my friends Markus and Liz helped me trim the hedge at my house.

It was a big job, taking about 5 hours.

I later rented a big chipper and got about 4.5 yards of wood chips.

If you look closely at the box of chips, you’ll see steam coming out of the pipe. For more about why the pipe’s there, see: This post on composting

Instead of using a ladder, I rigged up a scaffolding on my truck.

IMG_9677.jpgIMG_9679.jpg

IMG_9684.jpg

IMG_9682.jpg IMG_9687.jpg
IMG_9688.jpg IMG_9693.jpg
IMG_9717.jpg IMG_9704.jpg
IMG_9721.jpg
IMG_9724.jpg IMG_9745.jpg
IMG_9740-2.jpg

Done got me a lincoln

One thing I’ve wanted to for a long time now is learn how to weld metal. I took a class a couple years ago but I didn’t take it very far. I didn’t have an idea for a project to provide context. Because I want to make a larger Rocket Stove, the idea of welding was recently rekindled.

So I poked around on ebay and found myself a new Lincoln 175HD

The other day, I welded up my first useful thing. I got a couple pieces of rebar I had lying around from an older project and made a compost aerator/stirrer. I got the idea from this. The idea is that I jam the pointy end into the compost pile and let the barbs move things around. Works pretty well, though it does require some strength.

Either way, no “black man” should be without a lincoln. Well, now, I’ve got one too.

Composting horse manure

Here’s a picture of our garden stitched form pictures this evening

It’s been a good season. Better than last year; Robie and I are learning a lot. Most folks I know that have a garden have noticed that the season’s been less productive than we’d like, but we’re pleased with the success we have had and what we’ve learned.

On my drive home, I pass by a horse ranch Abbey Creek Stables. Although it’s not there anymore, they used to have a sign at the entrance “Free manure. We load”. Since you can never have enough compost and because I like the word “free”, I went and got some. Two loads actually for a total of about two cubic yards.

Composting is one of those things that sounds more complicated when you read about it than it actually is. Websites and books talk about cabon/nitrogen ratios and all that. Some refer to it as browns/greens. I’ve generally found that what I’ve got is what I’ve got. If I have too much green, like from cutting the grass, I can’t just conjur up some leaves to balance it out. Whatever I have is what ends up in my compost bins.

Having said that, horse manure actually has an optimal ratio. The manure I got is a nice mix of what looks to be sawdust and manure. Good even texture. It heated up pretty quickly. Since I was thinking about composting at the time, I did a bit of reading. One site I came across talked about a simple way of aerating the pile with perforated pipes. This is actually mentioned in a bunch of places, but the key is that the microbes that process compost need oxygen. Most sources advocate turning the compost pile, but that’s a lot of work.

So I got a couple lengths of 1″ pvc and drilled a bunch of holes. I also had a couple lengths of ABS. I went to Harbor Freight and got some thermometers to track what the pile is doing and now I have two of them in the manure pile. The one in the center quickly climbed outside the working range of the thermometers (159 deg) and it stayed there for about two weeks. The other one is in the corner and hung out at around 140 deg. The active composting temp range that I’ve come across in a couple places is about 110-160 deg. Today, three weeks after I got the second load of manure, the center is at 140 deg and the corner is 120. I’m curious to see how it’ll look when things cool off and I dig around in there.

The manure is under the blue tarp. The other pipes are normal compost. One thing I am a little concerned about is an ariticle I just read in mother earth news about some herbicides surviving through horses’ digestive systems.

If it all works out, I’ll probably get a bunch more loads of the stuff.

Oh, and it doesn’t stink at all.